Insurance forms, Organizational and Membership Structure of the CCGA

Forms and structures are found at the link above.

Please be advised and reminded that as per CGAA Bye Laws # 20,  all Competitions, Tournaments and Challenge games must be sanctioned and approved by the CGAA. The CGAA Insurance Certificate application must be completed and signed by the applicant, Secretary of the Division or the Club.

The completed and signed application must be submitted to Yvonne Morley along with a copy of any contract you may have signed with a facility or institution, Yvonne can be reached at 

Please note:

1.      Do NOT submit a request for a Certificates of Insurance directly to the CGAA Insurance Broker.

2.      Requests for Certificates of Insurance must be submitted on the form provided by the CGAA,

3.      Completed and signed applications must be submitted directly to Yvonne Morley at

4.      Facilities and Institutions must NOT be named as an Additional Insured on CGAA Certificates of Insurance, unless there is a specific request from the Facility or Institution to do so.

5.      Provide a copy of any application or contract that may have been signed between the applicant and a Facility or Institution.

6.      The CGAA Liability Insurance Policy does NOT provide coverage for Liquor Liability, the exception: Divisional and Club annual year- end presentation awards functions and banquets

7.      . The CGAA reserves the right to sanction all Divisional and Club Fundraising and Special Events (EG. Race Nights, Parent information nights ETC)

8.       A copy of a Special Event Liability Insurance Policy or Certificate of Insurance must be submitted to the CGAA, with Policy Liability limits of not less than One Million Dollars ($1M) and, the CGAA requires that the CGAA be listed on the Special Event Liability Insurance Policy or Certificate of Insurance as Additional Named Insured


Canadian Gaelic Athletic Association:

 1)                            What type(s) of insurance do we have?

The Association carries 4 types of Insurance, Commercial General Liability (CGL), Sports Injury (and Death) Coverage, Directors and Officers Coverage and Abuse coverage (included in the CGL coverage)


2)                   What am I covered for?

The CGL policy covers bodily injury and property damage (including participants) to Third parties. Sports Injury provides coverage against various injuries to participants (listed in the policy). Directors and Officers Liability provides coverage of a financial nature for errors and omissions by Directors and officers (this coverage does not pertain to Bodily injury or property damage).

Abuse coverage covers suits brought as a result of  “Sexual Molestation, sexual harassment, corporal punishment or physical or mental abuse or harassment whether actual or alleged”.


3)                   Can I claim for lost wages?

The Sports Injury does not cover for lost wages.


4)                   Can I claim for chiropractor and/or physio treatment?

                        Yes, there is a sublimit of $50 per visit and a limit of $500 per claim.


5)                   Is there a deductible?

                        Directors and Officers have a $1,000 Deductible.     

                        Commercial General Liability (including Abuse) has a $500 Deductible

                        No Deductible for Sports Injury.


6)                   Are there any geographical limitations to cover?

There is worldwide coverage however the policies will only respond to suits brought in Canada.


7)                   Are we covered for pre-season training?



8)                   Do I have to sign a waiver?

Yes (only once, does not need to be signed each year but get new members to sign as they join your club).


9)                   What is a waiver?

Waivers are part of a business practice that sports insurers like to see in place. They potentially protect the policyholder from claims of negligence if it holds up in a court of law. Some do and some don’t.



10)               What forms are required to fill in a claim?

                        Forms are available from the CGAA.


11)               Where are these available?

                        See 10 above


12)               What is the time limit in submitting a claim report?

                        30 Days




13)               Does it need to be witnessed?

Yes – a report should be signed by a witness preferably a referee, club president, team manager etc.


14)               Are helmets compulsory for Hurling & Camogie?

                        Yes Helmets are compulsory otherwise coverage does not apply.


15)               What am I not covered for?

You are not covered for Travel Medical Insurance to the U.S., if required it can be purchased for approx $5 a day, all we need to know is how many are travelling, to where in the U.S. and the dates. This is for a $2,000,000 limit


The operations of the Insured are defined as “ Gaelic Football / Hurling and Camogie activities and annual participation in St Patrick’s Day Parade and awards banquets”.


Any other event where the service of Alcohol by an association member is involved would need to obtain separate coverage. This can be done through “PAL” directly or by any independent broker.


All policies contain exclusions; please refer to policies for exclusions. These can be obtained by your Divisional Board Secretaries.

It has been brought to our attention that players are participating in games without wearing mouth guards. Therefore, effective immediately: A player who refuses to comply with the referee's instruction to use a mouthguard shall be Cautioned (Yellow Card) and ordered off (Red Card) should the offender persist in refusing.

Following the GAA’s Annual Congress in April 2012 a new rule was enacted that made it mandatory to use a mouthguard in all Gaelic football matches and training sessions from January 1st 2013 (for all age grades up to and including minor) and at U21 and, at Adult level from January 1st 2014.

The reasons for wearing a mouthguard during sporting activities is obvious, to protect the teeth from fracture and the accompanying expensive repair work.

The main function of a mouthguard is to dissipate the impact of a collision around your mouth rather than on one tooth.

There are several kinds of mouthguards available. Mouth Adapted “boil and bite” mouthguards, these can be purchased in most sports stores, although they are preferable to not wearing a mouthguard at all, they do not effectively adapt to the shape of your mouth and jaw bone.

A custom made mouthguard is the best form of protection from dental trauma, an impression (mould) is taken of your mouth, not just your teeth but also your jaw bone (maxilla). The mouth guard is then made in a lab to fit your teeth and jaw bone exactly. This type of mouth guard covers much more surface area and so can take more forces and dissipate those forces around your mouth more effectively than the other mouthguards you can buy in the sports stores.

A player who refuses to comply with the referee's instruction to use a mouthguard shall be Cautioned (Yellow Card) and ordered off (Red Card) should the offender persist in refusing.

Forms and structures are found at the link below.