County Club News‎ > ‎


posted 3 May 2013, 08:16 by Unknown user


Canadian Gaelic Athletic Association:

 1)                            What type(s) of insurance do we have?

The Association carries 4 types of Insurance, Commercial General Liability (CGL), Sports Injury (and Death) Coverage, Directors and Officers Coverage and Abuse coverage (included in the CGL coverage)


2)                   What am I covered for?

The CGL policy covers bodily injury and property damage (including participants) to Third parties. Sports Injury provides coverage against various injuries to participants (listed in the policy). Directors and Officers Liability provides coverage of a financial nature for errors and omissions by Directors and officers (this coverage does not pertain to Bodily injury or property damage).

Abuse coverage covers suits brought as a result of  “Sexual Molestation, sexual harassment, corporal punishment or physical or mental abuse or harassment whether actual or alleged”.


3)                   Can I claim for lost wages?

The Sports Injury does not cover for lost wages.


4)                   Can I claim for chiropractor and/or physio treatment?

                        Yes, there is a sublimit of $50 per visit and a limit of $500 per claim.


5)                   Is there a deductible?

                        Directors and Officers have a $1,000 Deductible.     

                        Commercial General Liability (including Abuse) has a $500 Deductible

                        No Deductible for Sports Injury.


6)                   Are there any geographical limitations to cover?

There is worldwide coverage however the policies will only respond to suits brought in Canada.


7)                   Are we covered for pre-season training?



8)                   Do I have to sign a waiver?

Yes (only once, does not need to be signed each year but get new members to sign as they join your club).


9)                   What is a waiver?

Waivers are part of a business practice that sports insurers like to see in place. They potentially protect the policyholder from claims of negligence if it holds up in a court of law. Some do and some don’t.



10)               What forms are required to fill in a claim?

                        Forms are available from the Canadian Board.


11)               Where are these available?

                        See 10 above


12)               What is the time limit in submitting a claim report?

                        30 Days




13)               Does it need to be witnessed?

Yes – a report should be signed by a witness preferably a referee, club president, team manager etc.


14)               Are helmets compulsory for Hurling & Camogie?

                        Yes Helmets are compulsory otherwise coverage does not apply.


15)               What am I not covered for?

You are not covered for Travel Medical Insurance to the U.S., if required it can be purchased for approx $5 a day, all we need to know is how many are travelling, to where in the U.S. and the dates. This is for a $2,000,000 limit


The operations of the Insured are defined as “ Gaelic Football / Hurling and Camogie activities and annual participation in St Patrick’s Day Parade and awards banquets”.


Any other event where the service of Alcohol by an association member is involved would need to obtain separate coverage. This can be done through “PAL” directly or by any independent broker.


All policies contain exclusions; please refer to policies for exclusions. These can be obtained by your Divisional Board Secretaries.